Last week tweeting with the creative gourmands girls from Lili’s Kitchen, Aux Cuistots Anonymes and Passionnementcuisine we had the idea to propose a little challenge. You might be wondering: challenge concerning which theme? Well, the super trendy Whoopie Pies.
I’ve heard a lot about the whoopies, but personnally, it’s the first time I try to do ones, so for a few days I was surfing the web looking for the right recipe, the one that makes my mouth water, le coup de coeur as we say in french.
I finally chose the Martha Stewart banana whoopie pies recipe, filled with my favorite chocolate cream cheese [a few pounds in a bite but what the heck =P].
I gathered all my ingredients, started the preparation and they were done in no time! Seriously, is super fast and the result is flawless. I totally loved this challenge and my husband ate like 4 whoopies in a second, saying Oh my God they are good, so I’m very pleased and excited to see what my friends will present for this challenge.
Sorry about the pictures, there’s not a cute decoration or theme cause it was kind of late, after a whole day of work.
For the Martha Stewart Banana Whoopies you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (from 1 large ripe banana)
- 1/2 cup sour cream + I added a little bit of milk
- 115 gr unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine banana, milk and sour cream in another bowl.
- Beat butter and the granulated + brown sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed, until pale and creamy. Add egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, beating until incorporated. Add banana mixture in 2 additions, alternating with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain tip. Pipe batter into 1 1/4-inch rounds on baking sheets, spacing rounds 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. When done, let cool on a wire rack.
For the Chocolate Cream Cheese you will need:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon